Sunday, February 17, 2008

be here now.

Today has been an ideal Sunday. Trekked to the early service. Worshiped. Saw a particular piece of scripture in a new light. I love that. God's living, breathing word never changes, but yet it can always mean something new or different.

Then the storm started rolling in. Living in the "Loveliest Village on the Plains" makes this a beautiful sight to see. It did that thing it does in the south when it literally "smells like rain" riiight before it starts storming. Perfect "Pyramid Song" weather. While running errands (with Tucker as my co-pilot, of course), I must have played every single version of that song I have on my ipod. Albums, live shows, acoustics. Thank you, Radiohead, for your genius.

I have been very conscious lately of being fully present in the moment that I'm in. I've spent so much of my life either reflecting on the past or wishing for the future. Not that those things are bad things, but like most things, they should be done in moderation. In the last year, I would say that through God's counsel, great simplicity has been brought into my life. I revel in the the simple. Savor. Most times, I succeed in this. I often fail, however. But it's ok. Keeps me on my knees.

Tucker has been my biggest lesson in finding awe in the simple things. Watching him grow from a puppy into a dog (a year and a half old!), he has yet to lose his sense of wonder.

This morning, we snuggled under my electric blanket, him nestled under my arm. He typically wakes up, makes a bunch of yawning/"hey! I'm awake! Life can start now!" noises, climbs under my bed to recover last night's chewbone(s), and hurls them on me so I'll quit what I'm doing and play with him.
He, true to his nature, sticks his head out my rolled down window in the POURING rain. People at red lights stared and laughed at him.
And the mud. This dog is the essence of boy, and I have to drag him away from pawing and rolling in the mud. This is my last-stitch effort preserve my carpet and get SOME of my deposit back after senior year is over (note the use of the word "some". I painted my room bright turquoise in true non-conformity, breaking away from the confines of my lease).All of this to say: Today I'm so glad the Lord has given me this dog, so I could take the overflow of my heart and pour it into him. I'll probably spend more than a few posts sharing stories of him.

And no, I won't take credit for the subject of this entry.
Ray LaMontagne, you are honey to my ears.

No comments: